Monday, September 19, 2011

While Hurricanes Blow…

Since before we moved here I knew if there was going to be a hurricane that Allen would be staying and that the boys and I would be evacuated.  That knowledge in no way prepared me for actually leaving me as a Category 3 and possibly 4 storm approached our island home.  Packing our clothes and such for the trip was the easy part.  After that was done I had to bring in or secure everything from outside. Then I had to move all our things from our living room upstairs and cover it with plastic.  Sounds easy, right?  Notsomuch. 
I was fortunate that my friend sent her teenagers over to help me. 
Wednesday, the morning of our evacuation Miller woke up at 5 a.m. and told me his ear had a boo-boo.  Not ideal for flying, but we gave him drops and ibuprofen and hoped for the best.  Literally about 20 minutes before the airport closed, we flew out of Nassau and headed for Atlanta.   I’m not going to lie, it was tough, knowing that my husband was going to be here in the midst of such a terrible storm.  I could go on and on about my anxieties but since you probably have other things to do today, I’ll just say that the list was LONG!  Of course the boys did fantastic.
We arrived safely and were put up in a Marriott Residence Inn.  It was really nice and fortunately my friend and her teenagers (her husband chose to stay behind and help) were right upstairs from us.
The first night and next day we were pretty anxious, we were waiting to hear how our husbands were doing.  They did a decent job of keeping us appraised of the goings on there in Nassau.  Fortunately the storm moved further east and our island didn’t suffer a direct hit.  Our house had some water damage and a few things banged around from flying debris, but all in all not too bad.
Once our husbands were out of the woods, so to speak, we could get ready to enjoy our vacation in Georgia. My wonderful sister, Michele,  drove down to ATL on Thursday after work to help me with the boys.  She was supposed to begin her 10 day vacation in Nassau on Friday, but that wasn’t happening!  
Friday morning we woke up and were ready to start having fun, but Miller had other ideas.  That morning he vomited at breakfast.  I was pretty sure his ears were to blame since brown goo was coming out of his ears.  Despite being on the ear drops for 3 days he was still not any better.  I know you are amazed at my powers of observation, but that boy has such a high threshold for pain, I don’t always know when he isn’t well. 
Off we went to an urgent care clinic.  One glance by the Doctor there and he said we needed to see an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor quickly.  Amazingly he personally made some calls and got us an appointment for that afternoon.
The Ear, Nose and Throat doctor had some of the worst bedside manner I’ve ever seen, but he did explain that the drops we were using weren’t even getting to his ears since there was  so much goo in there.  Good point.  So he told me how to clean them out and gave me some different drops to use.  Poor baby was so sick that day!  I was so fortunate that my sister was there to drive me and that my friend and he teenagers could take care of Jackson.
As soon as we got the medicine in him he was so much better, so we decided to go out for a Mexican dinner.  He ate chips  like he hadn’t eaten in days! Because he hadn’t!  Then we left and all the chips came right back up.  In terms of vomit, it was a pretty nice one.  Just like masa flour!  I realize saying that it was a nice throw up is like saying we had a nice time at Chuck E Cheese, but it wasn’t too bad!
Then we got in the car and went back to the hotel, and my sister points at me and busts out laughing.  I went out like this. 
To Dinner.  The End.

Part 2 coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.